Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Jobbie Job Job


I finally got one. I had a temporary position, working for Sebastien's firm. I mostly pulled together AutoCAD drawings and worked on 3D virtual models of an office. Not grand in scope, but this allowed me to (sort of) set my own work days, ideally approaching companies on my days off to find a job. The woman I worked for (Seb's boss) is great. --Not "great" in the sense that Thia is great (my first boss), because Thia isn't even to be compared, but "great" in the sense that she is fun and flexible and let me work for her office, giving me nice experience. So, long and boring story short, I applied to quite a few firms, got interest from many of them (lots of building being done here), worked two days conditionally at an office, got offers at two which I turned down, and finally got a job that I am very excited about. I am working for a firm called ARG Design, which specializes in sustainable architecture, urban planning, and landscape architecture. This is rare here in South Africa. They are, in fact, the only firm I found in Cape Town that even considers environmental design a viable option. I asked every firm I talked to how much they considered the environment in their design process, and every other firm said that clients won't pay for it (which sadly is usually true). However, and I am so happy about this, ARG is committed to educating clients about human and environmental impacts of design. It is so refreshing. In fact, my second day, I was asked to do research on new water systems that are ideal in New Urbanist communities (of course the client is now fighting for a mall, instead of mixed-use streets with a neighborhood center, but....)! At any rate: so far, so good. They are an entirely Mac-based office, so if anyone has any ArchiCAD hints, I would love to hear them (I am not doing any drafting right now, but it would just be good to know).

3 comments:

#2 Sister said...

More pictures, please! It sounds like you are having an AWESOME time. I love to read your little stories. Keep them coming.
#2 Sister

Caitlin said...

i am so happy you found a job you like and you waited it out a little! good job! :)
xoxoxooxx
love you!

The Telford Family said...

Your job sounds very interesting and how exciting that you were able to find something so directly related to your interests and education, Hope! I cannot wait to see you again in person, to flip thru your photos and chat for hours over many glasses of wine! Love, -c-