Monday, October 13, 2008

Sew.... Long Time, No Talk

Okay, so Thia's website isn't the only thing I have been doing. Last week our internet was down, and I set up my sewing machine. It is kind of a pain to get the machine out and set up, and then take it all down when you are done, and I would love to be able to just leave it up, so I could do small projects on it, without getting annoyed. Once I get it set up, though, I love to do little projects on it. I finished our bedroom curtains, and we are very happy with them. They are linen, and the light that comes through them is so nice, although I couldn't capture that in the pictures.

I have also been getting more and more excited about some gorgeous fabric I got from Marie-Helene (Sebastien's mother) when she and Tim (his dad) were in Vancouver. I was super excited about the fabric when I first got it, but then it just sat in the corner, in a bag, making sad eyes at me. The summer was really busy for me, and there wasn't much sewing going on..... So, the fabric sat and sat for much longer than a month, calling to me when I came into the room, "Hey you! I'm still here, in this bag! Take me out and use me!" So last week I did. --Or at least I started.

I finished our curtains before anything else, and then moved into hemming some of our tableclothes, and then I finally took the fabric out of the bag, and (gulp) made something. And it felt good. And what I made was a tiny little bird.

I thank my wonderfully crafty friend, Jenn, for getting me going again (she gave me the pattern). I am going to try (please, please don't quote me here) to make enough to make something for our room, and sell some at a Christmas church bazaar.

I sewed for a large portion of the weekend, and once, when I got up to get some air by the window, I even had a little friend in our parsley! He was so cute that I had to take a picture.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that little bird is so cute....I am also very impressed at how nice, neat and clean your bedroom is. (or should I be congratulating Seb?) :) jk love you! Sarah

TheMuscatoHansens said...

Yay!!!! LOVE the bird!!!! So cute, you are very crafty! I also HATE not having a space to work - I have my sewing machine on the dining room table which looks horrible but is nice when I have a few minutes to work... Someday I'll have some space for art! The cape was SUPER easy, I got the idea from Martha Stewart and (you can do a search of) their Halloween hoodie costumes (the little red riding hood one). I just used the 22 inch square and cut an arch from corner 1 to corner 3 and used a plate to make the "neck" at corner 4... and then just used some fabric and a button to make the fastener. Let me know if you want more specific directions at some point! Big hugs, Jenn