Monday, November 20, 2006

Dude, Pass Me that Roach.

Or rather DON'T pass it, I mean to say.... We have cockroaches. I wasn't going to say anything before, because I didn't want to jinx our house or upset anyone, but they are here. Every couple of weeks, we come home from somewhere fun (thank goodness we are always in a good mood when it happens), and out of the corner of my eye, I see a jerky scurry across the corner of the room, and when I go to look, it has grown from a small blur into a two inch long armored ball of legs and antennae. Gross. AND, I have realized that even if insects don't mate for life, these little guys certainly travel in packs, or at least in pairs. Now, it is a joke around the house that we brought them with us from the States, even though I keep protesting that I have never even seen one in the US; only in our hotel in Peru. Last night there were three. One had been sent to scope out our bedroom, and the other two were making themselves quite at home in the kitchen. Sebastien and Ryan were "in charge" of the kitchen roaches, and I was calming my stomach as I picked up the Seb-squashed bedroom roach. One of the kitchen roaches disappeared, and the other went down the drain, where we thought he was going to join Davie Jones, in his locker. Pretty much as soon as he crawled down there, Ryan took off for bed (avoidance, I think), and Seb came into the living room to do some work. So, I went into the kitchen to wash a few dishes, and as I started scrubbing a pot, two very sudsy, wet antennae started twirling around to the right of my hand. The poor guy was nearly dead (I am assuming now, since I flushed him, he really IS with Davie Jones). When I jumped and screamed what was, I am sure, a very girly screech, his buddy who was formerly in hiding came running out from underneath the dish drain (I know - it IS gross - I agree) to take a quick look, and then run under the top of the counter on top of the washer, to wait for his revenge on his friends' lives. I really believe this. We haven't seen the last of them.

1 comment:

The Telford Family said...

Pirate Todd, I would have been the kid in the fetal position in the corner of the room. I just sent Hope an email explaining my EXTREME phobia of roaches. If i saw one the size of a mouse and FLYING, someone would seriously have to toss some smelling salts my way - - then a big shot of whiskey to gather myself. Good GOD!!!