Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 1: Starting Off….


Today is our first day of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela.

It will be interesting to see how well Sebastien and I do, walking an average of 28km (over 17 miles) per day, just about every day for the next 30 (we are hoping to make up some ground so we can have three rest days too. This route (the Camino Frances – the most traveled pilgrimage to Santiago) is approximately 800km (500 miles) long, from start to finish. This is definitely an intimidating number, but like everything in life, I have to be content with taking it (literally) one step at a time.

The terrain on today’s trail is some of the toughest we will face during the whole month. We have to cross the Pyrenees Mountains from France into Spain, which will mean having to walk 25km (15.5mi), while ascending 1450m (almost a mile) to the peak!

I hear this day takes about 8 hours of hiking to finish, so I am sure I will be ready for a nice glass of wine (or two), some delicious manchego, and some sausages. Mmmmm. There is nothing more satisfying than eating a delicious meal after exercising.

I hope things are good in your life, and that you are happy an healthy. Wish us well!


2 comments:

Scott & Phoebe said...

When I grow up, I want to be Hopey Telford! Thank you for sharing your journey with us!!

TheMuscatoHansens said...

Love LOVE L O V E this! Best wishes for an amazing ride, I mean, WALK!