Thursday, April 29, 2010

Secret / Not-so-Secret Getaway

Sebastien and I are going away for a getaway, just the two of us, this weekend. I am super excited.

This is a trip I thought about a lot when he went to California to work at Saintsbury winery for three months, three weeks after our wedding. If this is the first you are hearing of him working in the Napa Valley, my apologies. Let's just say that it was a great learning experience for him. For me - well, let's just say that I am happy he is back, and we aren't going to do that long of a stint again (at least not right after the high, high emotions of getting married!).

While he was gone, I thought a bit about the two of us going away to reconnect a bit, and have some relaxation time together. As it often goes, though, we put off the weekend because there were so many things to catch up on, around the house, with our friends, and in our lives.

So suddenly it is Christmas, and so I give Sebastien a weekend away voucher.


And so this weekend, as a "Welcome Back from California"/"Merry Christmas" present, I am taking him on a secret (not so secret) weekend vacation. He knows we are going away but doesn't know where. He did figure out we will be in Canada, though.... He was nervous about me leaving the country (I am waiting for renewal work-papers right now), and I didn't want him to worry about it, so I told him that yes; it was a lie when I said we needed passports.

I will tell you though - I think it is going to be nice and relaxing. I am very excited for the down time. Life around here has been hectic lately, to say the least!

I will be sure to upload pictures when we get back!

3 comments:

kevtrout said...

Hey Hope.
Is that artwork behind your dresser? Or did you get insanely lucky with the best combination of old wallpaper layer after old wallpaper layer ever!

I work on historic buildings and occasionally we'll tear off layers of the old wall coverings trying to get to the oldest one. We never get to anything quite this fancy!

Hope said...

Hi Kevin!
The artwork behind the dresser was done by the very talented Colette Watts Qualia ( http://colettewattsquaglia.com/ ) a number of years ago. Her artwork is lovely, and she is fun to boot! She is actually living in your neck of the woods (outside Canandaiguau) - you should look her up!

You are totally right about the painting. This is part of a series about street culture in Portland, and how the music posters (constantly being put up and torn down) and graffiti reveal one another, and help give texture to cities.

Take care, and look up her work - I know she has shows now and again, and her current stuff is much different than this (but beautiful still). She is amazing.

Hope

J-Bo said...

Have a romantic getaway! Looking forward to the pics.